We celebrated Founder’s Day at Victoria Ward Park on Saturday, June 10. This annual event celebrates Ward Village’s founder Victoria Ward and featured an array of nature based educational activities, including:
- Interactive butterfly experience with Paradise Monarchs
- Planting activity with Sustainable Farm & Brew
- Lei-making station with Lara Robinson
- Tree art project with Trees for Honolulu’s Future
- Live calligraphy on take-home seed paper by Juniper Calligraphy
- Walkable life-size flora & fauna display by SF Fleur
- Microplastics art project with The Surfrider Foundation
- Local garden summer drink kits with Eco Rotary Club of Kaka‘ako
- Learn from Hui Manu-o-Kū about Hawai‘i’s White Tern Seabird
- And more
We had a blast talking with people and handing out summer drink kits. All the ingredients were harvested at Surfrider’s Kaka’ako Ocean Friendly Garden and the Butterfly Pea Syrup and Lemongrass Syrup were homemade. The Kaka’ako Ocean Friendly Garden is one of our regular service projects, and you can learn more about them at this link!
Here’s the amazing summer drink recipe we handed out and you can try yourself!
It was also great seeing EcoRotary member Henry Fang at the Interactive Monarch Butterfly Experience, showing kids all the different stages of a monarch butterfly’s life, from caterpillar, to chrysallis, and finally to butterfly. If you want a metamorphosis experience of your own, you can check out Henry’s work with Paradise Monarchs at this link and you can find their booth at the Kaka’ako Farmer’s Market!
It was a great time and we’re grateful for Ward Village for inviting us!